Mario, Luigi, and Wario are heading to Peach's Castle to visit Peach. Some time has passed, but no one came back out. This alerts Lakitu, who wakes up Yoshi, so the latter searches for his friends whereabouts. While on his journey, Yoshi collects Power Stars, eventually unlocking Mario, followed by Luigi, and then Wario. Together, they eventually beat Bowser, restoring peace to the castle.
Changes from original game
- Adds Yoshi, Luigi, and Wario as playable characters.
- Graphics changed to support the DS.
- Added a Minigames tab, which is called the Rec Room.
- Added new paintings, such as character and secret paintings.
- Added 30 extra stars to collect.
- Uses "X" as the zoom button rather than the Nintendo 64's camera buttons.
Super Mario 64 DS did not get as much recognition as the original game did, but it had quite positive reviews.
- Super Mario 64 DS actually has more glitches than the original game did. This, though, can be blamed on the new hardware the game is played on, and the overall redesign of the original game.
- Instead of Mario having all abilities, he receives the P Balloon and Wing Cap, Luigi receives the Vanish Cap, and Wario receives the Metal Cap. Yoshi has the ability to breathe fire.
- Similar to the original game's "L is real 2401", many players thought that Waluigi was hidden in this game too.